Saturday, February 14, 2009

Work and Other Cheerier Subjects

I haven’t updated in a while, and I have a very good reason for it!


I’ve been sick of words.

Seriously. I started work last week, and it involved me reading up to fifty articles (that’s 5-0!) all in the same pompous academic tone, write the introductory chapter to the research paper in a similar manner (like an assignment, it’s upwards of 2500 words), and worse, editing a 10,000 word chapter written by somebody else.

Now, even though I am sort of a good editor (which is why I'm always made editor in college/ university), I actually hate it. I hate that people make grammar/ spelling/ punctuation mistakes, muck up their referencing, write non-cohesive paragraphs and/or incongruous content, and I am the one who has to straighten that mess out.

Let’s just say an editor is the equivalent of a cleaner/janitor in the supermarket. “Clean up in Paragraph 2, Sentence 3!”

The worst part? Right now I get sanitation engineer’s pay too. If I don’t get paid in the ballpark of the market value soon, imma find other clients—people who are a bit more generous to their employees.

That said, I hope my current employer is happy with my work. I worked hard. I don’t think people realise this about me, but I am sort of a perfectionist and/or obsessive when it comes to my work. It makes it a little harder and takes me a little longer than other people, I suppose, but I never really knew how to do a half-assed job. I tried several times to just let it go in university (when it came to assignments), but no matter how I whined and threatened to fail my course, I always ended up holing myself up in the room for upwards of three days, working feverishly from day to night to complete the (admittedly, one-month) assignment. So, I’m super happy to have completed this one, but…you know…it won’t be long till the next project comes in. I’m really gonna have a chat with that lecturer. Seriously. I know why other people charge 200 bucks per page.

In other news, I died watching Count of Monte Cristo. Having never read the book, the entire story was novel to me, and I enjoyed every moment, every plot twist, every deceit and syllable. Maybe I am too effusive with my praise—but really, it’s been a while since I watched an adventure like this one. I want more adventure! More tales with pirates and prisoners, swordfights and betrayals! Seriously, the way he went Black Ops is so freaking cool! And the scars on his back: jarring! And the last swordfight scene: wickedly epic! I really just needed to watch this kind of high fantasy storytelling.


Mood: Inspired
[Source: Anagram Bookshop Ad]

0 comments: