Saturday, April 18, 2009

Weapons of Mass Consumption

If people are products of their environment, then surely all of us are somewhat influenced by our consumerist culture.

So here's a link that might make you think twice about buying those new pair of shoes, or that shiny new laptop. Watch it! It's cute, informational (even if a little preachy), and ultimately, optimistic! Watch The Story of Stuff.

There is some truth to what this Annie's saying. I do think people are less happy today. After all, keeping up with them Joneses is kinda stressful. If I'm honest, the only path to my happiness is to have accomplished my goals and be worry-free. But you know...when you can't accomplish your goals, you sometimes look elsewhere for a temporary high. Shopping is that fix for me. No more. No more.

(Classics don't count right? Or vintage? It's RECYCLING!)

p/s: Brownie points for those who can identify where I paraphrased my title from!

3 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

Are you sure everything you have is vintage?

Anyway, being the anti-establishment woman that you are, I'm sure you dont by into the trends & etc... Right?
You buy it because you want it & it is useful, right?

If you dont, then there is really no hope for the rest of us...
*gasp*

- D. said...

I'M the anti-establishment? I feel so rebellious! And awesomely cool!
Lol, even tho I don't buy into trends, the truth is I do lapse into momentary insanity and have shopping binges. It occurs maybe once every 5 months. The good thing is I love all the stuff I buy and use it for years and years! I even still wear clothes bought when I was 12! (Please hold the height comments. :P )
Also, recently I have been buying only vintage items. I also raid my mum's and grandma's closet. You could probably tell from some of the outfits I wore in IPBA (now ISB SJDHK or some other random letters).

Jarod Yong said...

Well well...
You are more down to earth than I expected!

You must have quite a good figure to be able to wear clothes of a 12 YO.
And your height?
Well... I'd label you as a life-sized anti-establishment vintage doll.

p/s: It's a compliment.